Our venues are one of the most unique and compelling things about Genesis. By design, these spaces are smaller and more intimate, encouraging that special connection between the singers and our audience - and between audience and music.
While some of our spaces are churches, we will also perform in art galleries, libraries, museums, historical sites, and even people's homes. Revisit this page to find out more information about our venues.
12 South Street
In 1886, the cemetery chapel was erected. It was designed in the then-popular Queen Anne style by J. Sumner Fowler of Hingham and was originally topped with an elaborate cupola. Funds were raised by subscription over 10 years. Its main purpose was to accommodate out-of-town families, which were many, with a place for burial services. The window in the chapel was given by friends of Annie F. Ames, daughter of the prominent Hingham merchant Luther J. Barnes, who had died 10 years earlier. Electricity and a telephone were installed in 1929. However, by mid-century, out-of-town descendants were no longer returning to Hingham, and the directors’ meetings dealt often with the deteriorating condition of the unused chapel. By 1977 there was even consideration of tearing or burning it down. However, the Ames Chapel has now been extensively restored. For more information, please visit
24 West Street
The James Library & Center for the Arts is a non-profit organization offering programs in music, art and literature. Housed in a landmark 1874 Victorian building in the heart of historic Norwell Center, the James features a concert hall with a Steinway B grand piano, a free lending library and an art gallery offering new exhibits each month.
The Victorian building originally housed the First Parish of Norwell library and was then home to Norwell’s Public Library until 1973. In 1991, the James was recast as a community arts center, and today it offers concerts, music lessons, art exhibits, a community meeting space, and a range of cultural events. The James is totally self-supporting and relies on annual financial support from the community.
For more information, please visit
First Parish House (Trueblood Hall)
23 Main Street
In December 1721 nineteen “souls” organized themselves in Cohasset as the second Parish of Hingham after winning the General Court approval. The parish slowly grew, carefully tended to by the care of its first minister, Nehemiah Hobart, grandson of Peter Hobart, the first minister of the Parish of Hingham. When Nehemiah Hobart died, he was succeeded by John Brown, a minister of cheerful disposition and an outspoken defender of intellectual freedom in 1746. One year later construction began on Cohasset’s second Meeting House. This is the building that stands today. It is the fourth-oldest continuously used Unitarian Universalist church in New England. For more information:
In 1927 the Jewell family, parishioners, left a trust fund to be held for twenty years for the construction of a granite church to replace the wooden building, and in 1947 a planning committee met to select the architect who would plan the new structure. Frank Cleveland, parishioner and member of the well-known architectural firm Cram and Ferguson, was appointed. In the spring of 1951 a beautiful granite church was completed and furnished. Six beautiful stained glass windows were dedicated – three in the sanctuary and three in the narthex. The interior of the rector’s study contains “linen fold” wood paneling and leaded glass windows that were once part of Ralph Adams Cram’s offices in France and Boston.
For more information, please visit